The alternative ionisation service provides high resolution mass spectra and accurate mass data for novel compounds using a range of ionisation techniques.
If you know for certain that your compound will not ionise with electrospray ionisation (open access) or your open access analysis failed you may submit your sample to the service for alternative methods of ionisation. Please pay close attention to the following guidelines:
- Log the submission by completing the next available row on the alternative ionisation Excel spreadsheet (white, 1st floor MS room sample login computer).
- Label the sample vial with the MSS number shown on the Excel spreadsheet using a sticky label. NB. permanent markers are easily washed off with common solvents. Only clearly labelled vials will be accepted.
- Place the sample vial in the 'Alternative Ionisation' vial tray (red) in the fridge, at the position indicated on the Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill in the general small molecules submission form which can be downloaded here. Type the sample's MSS number from the Excel spreadsheet in the correct field towards the bottom of the form, making sure you tick the 'EI/CI/FI or MALDI' tick box to request alternative ionisation analysis.If an unsuccessful open access spectrum was run, type the ID number of this run (found on the top right hand corner of the results pdf) on the form where indicated. Leave this line blank if no open access sample was run due to the sample being unsuitable.
- Once the form is complete save it with the following naming format: SampleNumber_Name_Group eg. for an alternative ionisation service sample: MSS12345_JohnSmith_CJS
- The form should be submitted electronically by saving it in the new ‘Service Sample Submission’ folder on the Q‐drive: \\chem.ox.ac.uk\srf\Mass Spectrometry\Service Sample Submission
The sample will be measured by, EI, CI, FI or MALDI as soon as possible. Samples will not be returned other than by special arrangement, contact Victor Mikhailov to request this. Results will be sent by email either as a pdf or Word document. Requests for follow-up accurate measurements should be made on the same form, but bear in mind that accurate mass determination by EI, CI or FI requires additional, manually intensive measurements to be performed on the sample and will lead to a delay in the return of your spectrum. Accurate mass measurements will be performed on novel compounds only.